Summer Excel Challenge
- Ladoga Elementary School
- New Market Elementary School
- Southmont Jr. High School
- Southmont Schools
- Walnut Elementary School
Dear Southmont Parents & Guardians:
Southmont Schools is proud to offer a Summer Excel Challenge that will help students refresh their reading, writing and math skills! The program is open to students who are currently in Kindergarten - 8th grade.
The Summer Excel Challenge is simple . . .
- Parents sign their child up to participate by clicking HERE
- The students are enrolled in an online reading program (LEXIA) and math program (ZEARN) that they are able to utilize independently.
- The student comes home with their Chromebook and a Summer Excel Challenge Folder.
- Students complete 20 minutes of Reading on LEXIA, 20 minutes of Math on ZEARN and 20 minutes of Reading/Writing at least 4 times per week.
The "Summer Slide" refers to the knowledge and skills students lose over the summer. Research tells us that on average 2 1/2 months of math skills are lost over the summer and 2 months of reading skills are lost over the summer. Spending 4 hours per week completing the Summer Excel Challenge will help your child avoid the Summer Slide!
To sign your child up follow the directions on the attached Parent Guide. Please reach out with any questions you may have!
Summer Excel Challenge Coordinator
Principal, New Market Elementary School
Summer Excel Challenge Parent Guide
Summer Excel Challenge Big Event